, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Apologies for absence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albion
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Apologies for absence Reply with quote

Should apologies for abscence be restricted to members of the council only or should they be opened up to allow members of the public to send their apologies.

I personally find it a bit strange having it minuted that members of the public send their apologies when they don't normally attend the meetings in any case.
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that apologies should be sent if you are invited to the meeting, officially.

It would be interesting to know what Roberts Rules of Order have to say on this

Richard
albion
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens the memebers of the public in question had not been invited rarely attend and seemiingly mentioned in passing to one of the members that they had thought of attending but for whatever reason would now not be attending.

The chairman thought that as a matter of politeness that appologies for absence should be accepted on their behalf.

I disagreed believing that it should be restricted to members only.

Just wondered what everyone else thought and if any rules where available to cover it or can you just make up your own rules.
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberts rules of order are usually used at meetings, or a watered down version of them. Having just read some of them, I realise that we don't really follow them in our meetings, both at work, and in the council.

As long as the meeting follows some sort of order, and has a consistant appliaction of those rules, then I don't really suppose it matters.

I agree it is strange.

My pet hate is members bringing up things in the AOB at the end of meetings, when they have known about the issue for weeks. Most of our meetings seem to be tied up in "matters arising" and "AOB"
bobby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardgarforth wrote:
Roberts rules of order are usually used at meetings, or a watered down version of them. Having just read some of them, I realise that we don't really follow them in our meetings, both at work, and in the council.

As long as the meeting follows some sort of order, and has a consistant appliaction of those rules, then I don't really suppose it matters.

I agree it is strange.

My pet hate is members bringing up things in the AOB at the end of meetings, when they have known about the issue for weeks. Most of our meetings seem to be tied up in "matters arising" and "AOB"

Hi,

Just registered and reading through topics. On this matter you cannot have AOB on an agenda for the reason being that the agenda must be factual of the items to be discussed at the meeting and notice of this given to the public, which would allow them to decide if they want to be present at the meeting to listen to discussions on this agenda item. By having AOB on the agenda you could leave everything off the agenda other than reguliar matters and then bring them up under AOB!. So tell your clerk and councillors that there will be no AOB in future! Also regarding apologies only invited speakers, councillors and if you have the police attending need to offer apologies and have that recorded in the minutes.
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum bobby Very Happy
colin
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Apologies Reply with quote

The formal Minutes must not record apologies from anyone other than Members of the Council. To do otherwise is quite wrong and will at some time int he future open up a whole can of worms.
albion
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi colin,

Thanks for that. Perhaps you could also tell me of your opinion on members of the publics names being recorded in the minutes at every monthly meeting. I can understand it if a member of the public speaks during the open forum but otherwise I personally don't think they should be recorded.

Secondly we are now discussing whether the open forum aspect is part of the council meeting or not. If it is excluded from the council meeting as a period in which members of the public can ask questions does it not also follow from that, that none of it shold be minuted.

I look forward to your opinion.
colin
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Recording names in attendance Reply with quote

The Open Forum should best be held before the formal council meeting - then it is not part of that meeting and does not need to be recorded.

From that it follows that the names of public attending are not recorded. The Clerk might wish to keep a note of those names so that he can follow them up later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: