, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Help - what to do ? Clerk & Chairman lied in meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Questions from the Public
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Help - what to do ? Clerk & Chairman lied in meeting Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone help???
We have a situation where at a parish council meeting the councillors resolved to NOT send a letter, a few days later the Chair phoned 4 councillors (to achieve quoram) re-requesting that this letter was sent. Clerk sent the letter. At the following meeting the Clerk & Chair were asked if the letter it was resolved to NOT send was infact sent. Both denied that the letter was sent. (The 4 'phone a friends' remained silent) The letter WAS sent - I have a copy under FOI from the recipient.
What do I do??? The Clerk & Chairman lied in a public parish council meeting Help please !!!
(This is not an isolated incident - it is "how things are done" at our local parish !!!) Crying or Very sad
ParishCouncil.net
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack,

This is a pretty serious thing, and you will have to be very sure about what it is that you are accusing. In the first instance, I would strongly recommend that you write to your local district and borough councillors regarding this matter. However, I myself would almost certainly refrain from using the 'L' word at this stage. Things always have more clout if they are softly put!

Good luck.

NP
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that sounds terrible! I am new to clerking, and I am sure that my new councillors would not do anything quite like that, but I would have though that this makes the job of the clerk very difficult indeed.
Chris
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire White wrote:
I must say that sounds terrible! I am new to clerking, and I am sure that my new councillors would not do anything quite like that, but I would have though that this makes the job of the clerk very difficult indeed.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a regular occurrence from our Cllrs and Clerk. Tried the Standards Board route but they all seem very well protected. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Questions from the Public All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: