, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Agenda items for Parish Meetings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skallywag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Agenda items for Parish Meetings. Reply with quote

We have been told that we must now omit matters arising from the minutes and also Any other business/information. Is this correct please and we are also told that the clerk is the one that chooses what goes onto the agenda not the councillors. Question
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what clerks/clerk managers seem to be forgetting in some cases that although they are employed to run the councils business the councillors are still in fact their employers. nice to see you posting btw x
Skallywag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with what you say - things appear to be taken over from us at the moment since our clerk started on a SLCC course.
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skallywag wrote:
I certainly agree with what you say - things appear to be taken over from us at the moment since our clerk started on a SLCC course.

dont get me wrong, the clerk of the parish is paid to take care of business and certain rules do apply to them in their job description. What I have found is that many councillors do not play an active role in the running of the parish council nor do they participate. Its about striking a balance between councillors and staff, when staff do work hard setting up events or community activities it is nice to see councillors at least make the effort and turn up, by the same token its equally as disruptive if councillors are in the office all the time dictating to staff what they can and cant do....... now the clerk should of course set the agenda but only after consultation with the chair of the parish council ... hope all that makes sense its still quite early for me......... Wink
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Agenda items for Parish Meetings. Reply with quote

Skallywag wrote:
We have been told that we must now omit matters arising from the minutes and also Any other business/information. Is this correct please and we are also told that the clerk is the one that chooses what goes onto the agenda not the councillors. Question

As far as I'm aware , matters arising should stay but certainly any other business should go, this i think arises out of a decision that the any other business item can make council meetings long and drag them out , plus of course 'any other business ' on the agenda has not met the 4 day agenda notice criteria. hope this helps.
Skallywag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for nyour replies. I agree that AOB can be a bit confusing but we do need an item where we can bring things to attention of councillors and also members of the public that do not need a decision and are just for information.

We have been told we must remove both items and cannot possibly see how this will work out or where the information is publicised.

At the moment we are it would appear being taken over and soon will not have any say in the running of our council just attend and vote yes or no I think.
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skallywag wrote:
Thank you for nyour replies. I agree that AOB can be a bit confusing but we do need an item where we can bring things to attention of councillors and also members of the public that do not need a decision and are just for information.

We have been told we must remove both items and cannot possibly see how this will work out or where the information is publicised.

At the moment we are it would appear being taken over and soon will not have any say in the running of our council just attend and vote yes or no I think.

you reply saddened me a bit , its a partnership between staff, councillors and residents, can i suggest you use NALC to iron this one out, they are very good and will give you the answers you need, i cant see how taking the matters arising from the previous minutes will benfit anyone ..... keep your chin up though you sound somewhat disallusioned with the whole set up just now xx
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real shame - it is wrong to see clerks and councillors not getting along. The Council will just not get anything done with this type of internal wrangling. I hope it all gets sorted for you!!

Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: