, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

How to get people to know about your website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
symonds
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: How to get people to know about your website Reply with quote

We're making a new website now, becasue not enough people visited the old one. I want to know if there is a good way to make people visit the website and if anyone else has been able to make theirs a success? We do not have enough money for advertising (like in Google), so this option is out.
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to get people to know about your website Reply with quote

symonds wrote:
We're making a new website now, becasue not enough people visited the old one. I want to know if there is a good way to make people visit the website and if anyone else has been able to make theirs a success? We do not have enough money for advertising (like in Google), so this option is out.

funnily enough we were asking this question, i dont know the make up of your population but i was thinking that we definately need a handle to get people in , crosswords or suduko did cross my mind, with the puzzle being in the newsletter and the solution on the website. but still early days for us (only just having a website set up now) perhaps a young persons page, community have your say page? uncertain but will let you know if we come up with any bright ideas.

cath x
Menwipcc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get people to know about your website Reply with quote

cath_p wrote:
symonds wrote:

funnily enough we were asking this question, i dont know the make up of your population but i was thinking that we definately need a handle to get people in , crosswords or suduko did cross my mind, with the puzzle being in the newsletter and the solution on the website. but still early days for us (only just having a website set up now) perhaps a young persons page, community have your say page? uncertain but will let you know if we come up with any bright ideas.

cath x

I think that the idea of somehow combining a website with a newsletter is a great one. However, one should not be totally reliant on the other. There are many people around who simply will never use a computer, let alone visit one of these "new fangled website-thingys" !!!

Rolling Eyes
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to get people to know about your website Reply with quote

Menwipcc wrote:
cath_p wrote:
symonds wrote:

cath x

I think that the idea of somehow combining a website with a newsletter is a great one. However, one should not be totally reliant on the other. There are many people around who simply will never use a computer, let alone visit one of these "new fangled website-thingys" !!!

Rolling Eyes

lol @ website-thingys" x
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best format is to have a forum such as this to permit members of your community to access and comment directly on things that concern them.

Develop a frontpage with diary/contacts/council details etc and have the forum on a separate section accessed through the frontpage. It maay take some time - probably 12 months to get going fully, but the eventual traffic will astound you! Rolling Eyes
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
The best format is to have a forum such as this to permit members of your community to access and comment directly on things that concern them.

Develop a frontpage with diary/contacts/council details etc and have the forum on a separate section accessed through the frontpage. It maay take some time - probably 12 months to get going fully, but the eventual traffic will astound you! Rolling Eyes

hi jake, welcome to the boards xxx

will let you know bout the web site building it at the moment xx
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Quick and easy way to "make" people visit your web Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done several websites and getting traffic seems to boil down to a few things.

You cannot make people visit. You need to encourage repeat visitors.

Publicise the website via your newsletter. The website should not replace the newsletter, but supplement it. Put posters up in the local shop, and on your Parish notice board.

Put new "news" articles up each day. Changing content is the man way that people remember to visit again. Think of all the websites you visit. If you go to a site and see the same news that you saw a month ago, you mentally think the site is stale and you do not go there again.

These 2 tips will help you get your residents using your site.

If you wish to attract traffic from elsewhere then you need to look into search engine optimisation techniques. I'll not bore you, but do let me know if you would like to know.

Richard
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is really good advice. I don't know anything about how to build a website, but I do know how to read them (I spend far too much time on websites!). Seeing that there is something new is exactly the sort of thing that will get me going back to a website again and again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: