, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

fundfinding and fund raising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: fundfinding and fund raising Reply with quote

hi , i work for a parish council in Milton keynes, Milton keynes is unique as it is fully parished and has some of the most innovative parish councils in buckinghamshire. we are an urban parish council.

More and more councils especially urban ones are having to find more and more finance, we are fast becoming victims of our own success....so this is my question, how do we obtain extra revenue funding? local authorities are being squeezed further and further out of grant aid pot but a need to ensure that a working in partnership with local voluntary groups are seen as necessary to attract funding.....so does anyone out there have any information on obtaining funding?

thanks

cath x
stretpc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess, I would not know about how to go about getting more funding, but I did hear that getting Quality Council status helps. Is this true?
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it does. im of to the NALC conference this weekend so will be chatting to lots and trying to find out sources of funding etc

will post anything i learn

cath x
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that this helps you a bit.

I am a member of a Parish Council near Nottingham, and like most we have not had enough funding from the precept, and always needed more.

Whilst making an application for a larger precept is one idea, it can take some time (being an annual award in most cases), and so we started thinking about alternative ways to get funding.

What we learnt is that it depended very much on what you wanted the money for. For example, if it was to provide something that would CLEARLY be of benefit to the local community (such as repairs to the village hall or new playground equipment) then we found the best thing to do was to start campaigns in the local community itself, and try to make them high-profile enough to actually get people to contribute and get involved.

However, there are also those 'one-off' projects which are not the sorts of things that would capture the local community's attention, but which are of great importance, such as new equipment or facilities for Parish Clerks and Councillors, training for clerks, setting up a Parish Council website (apologies to the sponsors of this forum!) and others similar things. Yet, the best people to speak to are your local Parish Council Association, or even the Department for Communities and Local Government (http://www.communities.gov.uk/). You may find that there are grants available to help you invest in the Council so that you can provide the service your community deserves.

Hope this helps readers of this forum.

Sarah
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all contribution help sarah xx how you doing by the way? xx
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cath,

Glad that it helps. All going quite well for me. All except for the non-stop rain that is!

lol x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: