, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Deeping St James, Lincs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Your Parish Council Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsjwebmaster
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Deeping St James, Lincs Reply with quote

Hi,

You might like to have a look at our offering,
http://www.dsjpc.org.uk which we know is far from perfect but is an attempt to provide all of what our parishioners might need in terms of local information. Not hosted here, though, I'm afraid.

Mark
http://www.dsjpc.org.uk
ParishCouncil.net
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the use of RSS feeds. Parish Councils do not always have the time or resources to constantly update their website, and RSS is a great way to have current, up-to-the-minute information available for the local community.

Very festive snow-effects also.

Laughing
stretpc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like your website, but I am not 100% convinced about the snow. It jumped around quite a lot on my computer, and slowed it down. Perhaps I just need a newer, faster computer!

Anyway, the question I have for you is how long it takes to keep the website up to date? Do you do work on it every day, or is it something that you just do when you have the time?

Thanks.
dsjwebmaster
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretpc wrote:
I quite like your website, but I am not 100% convinced about the snow. It jumped around quite a lot on my computer, and slowed it down. Perhaps I just need a newer, faster computer!

Fair enough! I'll take it off. I normally only put it there when it's actually snowing in the parish, but it does not show on all browsers (like Firefox, which I use) and I'd forgotten it was still there. I also had not realised that it would slow down an older machine (mine is 5 years old, though).

Quote:

Anyway, the question I have for you is how long it takes to keep the website up to date? Do you do work on it every day, or is it something that you just do when you have the time?

I'm not here *every* day, but I do something to it at least once most weeks. However, with all the RSS feeds it is never the same two days running anyway. The idea is to make it worthwhile someone visiting the site several times a day, or even using it as their "home page". I know several who do use it as their home page.

The only manual updatings which really *need* to be done are the posting of agendas and minutes. When the Clerk sends me my set of papers electronically I simply create pdf files from them and post them to the site, updating the index page(s) to suit. This takes just a few minutes once per month. I also change the front page picture every few days just to make it interesting, a topical pic if I have one or a "library" pic from somewhere in the village (these are reused from time to time) otherwise. That is simply matter of uploading a new pic with the same name, overwriting the file that's already on the server. Takes seconds.

Other updatings are simply improvements I make from time to time as I discover new possibilities or think of better ways of doing things - very, very few of these ideas have come from other people.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by dsjwebmaster on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dsjwebmaster
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParishCouncil.net wrote:
I like the use of RSS feeds. Parish Councils do not always have the time or resources to constantly update their website, and RSS is a great way to have current, up-to-the-minute information available for the local community.

Indeed. Parishioners need not trawl round all their local newspaper websites for headlines: they can find them all here alongside the parish magazine and other local information. That is the idea.

We also include UKVillages.co.uk content via their links programme, so that people can post their own information in the diary and on the noticeboard, even advertize their businesses and their clubs. We aim to become the information centre for the whole community: whether we achieve this remains to be seen!

Quote:

Very festive snow-effects also.

Ah, well: you can please some of the people .....

I'm taking the snow off now until it actually snows in Deeping again!

Mark Cool
kirky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winteringham Parish Council is here: www.council.winteringham.info

We have included four sites with the council site so that hopefully we cover most aspects of village life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirky wrote:

We have included four sites with the council site so that hopefully we cover most aspects of village life.

And why did your site try to open a German pop-up window? Shocked
stretpc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do like the site, but it is not very easy to find my way round it. Is there not a way to have all the information organised a bit clearer? There just seems to be so much going on on the home page.
carole
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretpc wrote:
Hi,

I do like the site, but it is not very easy to find my way round it. Is there not a way to have all the information organised a bit clearer? There just seems to be so much going on on the home page.

I think this is being a bit harsh. I actually think it is rather good. There is lots to see and read. I also like the fact that local people can talk to each other in a forum. Lovely.
carole
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirky wrote:

I am not sure I am that keen about this website - there was just too much going on on the first page, and it took about 2 minutes to load (and I have broadband!!) Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Your Parish Council Websites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: