, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Bone Idle Clerks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Clerk Qualifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new guy
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Bone Idle Clerks? Reply with quote

What can be done with a bone idle and rude clerk?

One who does not acknowledge or respond to internal emails from councillors. One who takes 4 weeks to send out a members interest form after a request from a councillor. One who seems to work at only one speed (very slow).

Grateful to hear any suggestions before being taken away for GBH.
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this was a long time ago, but I hope everything is now sorted out! Most clerks I have met in training seem pretty on the ball and keen to work, but I am sure there are a few 'bad eggs' out there.
Chris
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bone Idle Clerks? Reply with quote

new guy wrote:
What can be done with a bone idle and rude clerk?

One who does not acknowledge or respond to internal emails from councillors. One who takes 4 weeks to send out a members interest form after a request from a councillor. One who seems to work at only one speed (very slow).

Grateful to hear any suggestions before being taken away for GBH.

What about ones that do not respond to Parishioners e-mails/correspondence etc and also havent had any training?. I have also tried contacting the Chairman and all Cllrs on certain issues that are affecting the community but not one will respond. It appears to be a very closed shop with us Parishioners seemingly appearing to be 'worthless tenants' in THEIR village. Evil or Very Mad
Clerk4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I am a busy Clerk to four Parish Councils and am sorry to hear you have issues with your Clerk. If as a Clerk I was not responding to my Councillors or residents for that matter, I would assume the Council would either seek help from their equivilant of Sussex Association of Local Councils (SALC) or similar, to deal with this situation. It is key as Clerks we understand our roles as professionals, and bring key skills and communication to the Council and Community as we are often the sole point of contact for both.
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any employer, it is the Parish Council's responsibility (as the employer) to deal with this either through training, regular monitoring or any of the other techniques employers use with employees who aren't working well. I have been a clerk for less than a year but within the parish council there is absolutely no knowledge of the relationship between councillors and clerk and even less about how to manage the clerk's work. The poor clerks are so often left to get on with it so I'm not surprised it sometimes falls down. Clerks I have met take their roles very seriously and do their best, but sometimes lack of training or understanding of their role as a professional means that the best doesn't quite work.

I really feel there should be compulsory training for all councillors every year to understand this and lots of other issues about parish councils' operational roles.

Jan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Clerk Qualifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: