, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Using Advertising to generate revenue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Using Advertising to generate revenue. Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to this forum and one of my recent posts commented on the possibility of using advertising on your website to generate revenue.

I will post a little on this subject, and if you need more information I am happy to assist. Our parish website is not yet up and running and needs formal approval so I will use a website I setup for a Rabbit club. The site is http://northerndwarf.org. and it has 3 types of advertising.

Commisison Junction
Google
and Amazon.

so far we have earned about £60 from the single Banner on the top of the page which is Commission junction.
Around £20 from the Google advertising (Which due to my mistake is quite low in the page)
Around £5 from Amazon, which has only been on a week or so.

Not much but this site gets around 20 visitors per day, and is pretty niche.

signing up is usually stright forward, but you must be able to add content to your page, all involve adding HTML code snippets.

Registering is via cj.com, google.com and http://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/gp/associates/join/main.html

I am most excited about the amazon offering. Promoting local books and such gets us 5% commission. So If someone buys a book or DVD at £20 we get £1.

I'll not go into any more detail unless requested, I reckon I lost 50% of the audience mentioning HTML earlier.

What do others think? Do you charge for advertising local companies in your newsletter? Would you charge to include them in your website?

Richard
PS . If you azre interested in how the dwarf site is put together let me know. It uses many free tools on the internet such as blogger.com and google analytics and only costs £10 to host.
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thanks! I am really impressed by how much you can get from advertising in such a short amount of time. Does that also mean that I am earning money for this forum if I click on adverts?

One this though - I did try to see your website but it would not let me get anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Claire
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesky punctuation creeping in! The address is http://northerndwarf.org
a "full-stop" was accidentally added to last post.

I noticed that someone is now using an amazon "widget" in the forum, replacing the previous google advert that was on there.

This looks like a good book on the subject Google advertising tools book

Cheers
Richard
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. I've been able to see it now. I like the new books idea on your website and at the top of this one (though I noticed that it is not on every page here). Was this your idea to put it on here, because it wasn't here when I last visited (I think!).

I don't know whether something like this would work on any site we had, because there just aren't enough books on the local area, and those books that do exist are just small publications that are not on sale at Amazon.

But, I do like the idea of Google adverts, because I understand that you do not have to pick which ones they show - they somehow cleverly work out what adverts to have on the site based on what words they find there. All far to clever for me to understand how it works!!!
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be surprised at how many books can be found on your area.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/yorkshirebooks-21/026-0764397-3385212

The link is a store I knocked up, its not finished yet and may never get finished but it shows what you can do. It will showcase our local authors, one lives in our village, another Joanne Harris author of "Chocolat" lives nearby.

Dickie Bird the Cricket Umpire, Charlie Williams, Michael Parkinson all come from Barnsley South yorkshire. This website will offer Top Quality books, with the delivery and speed of Amazon handling all the admin. People are more confident in dealing with amazon, but we get 5% commission. How many bookshops can get 5% profit these days.

Which area are you from? Who comes from your area/locality.

Another interesting thing with this post is that it will help promote that website, I have included several keywords "Dickie Bird the Cricket Umpire, Charlie Williams, Michael Parkinson " that is an example of one of the Seach Engine optimization techniques you can use to promote your site.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: