, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

We don't have any Standing Orders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbow
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: We don't have any Standing Orders. Reply with quote

But I am beginning to think we should have. I would be interested to hear how and when standing orders are actually used in your councils, as opposed to standing orders which you have adopted but never need to refer to.

I am thinking about several issues:

We need to clarify and formalise how items are put on the agenda for meetings.

We need to make sure everybody understands how the cheque book is handled and what our resposibilities are.

We need to have procedures for dealing with the (welcome) appearances of the public at meetings, so everybody knows about who can speak, when and on what subject.

Are there other ways in which standing orders are particularly useful?

Thanks
Mike Goss
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have, and once a year we look at them, agree that they still apply, amend where neccessary and adopt the amended ones. There will be sets of model Standing Orders that you can start from, ask your local Association of Local Councils.
Timbow
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the model standing orders, and I was in the process of cutting them down a bit (a lot). A lot of them are totally unecessary for us, the rules of debate for instance and written motions.

The trouble is we are a very sleepy parish where nothing happens for months on end, then something blows up, people get hot under the collar and we don't have procedures in place to help us and so we can be seen to be doing things by the book.
colin
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Proceedures at Meetings Reply with quote

Timbow wrote:
Yes, I have the model standing orders, and I was in the process of cutting them down a bit (a lot). A lot of them are totally unecessary for us, the rules of debate for instance and written motions.

The trouble is we are a very sleepy parish where nothing happens for months on end, then something blows up, people get hot under the collar and we don't have procedures in place to help us and so we can be seen to be doing things by the book.

That is the trouble -- nothing happens and then boom!! And that is why the Model Standing Orders should be adopted and observed at all times. Do not try to cut them down -- they are a coherent, solid peice of documentation and work as one system to control councils and councillors. It is the Clerks duty to remind Members of the provisions of Standing Orders as nescessary.

So far a the public speaking at Meetings -- you could have cards given out to members of the public to fill in stating thta they wish to speak at the meeting and it is then up to the Chairman to call their name and ask them to speak -- stating how long they can speak for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: