, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

A disgrace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Qualifications of the Clerk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
symonds
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: A disgrace Reply with quote

Personally, I am pretty horrified that it has been decided that now we need a qualification to show that we can do the job we have been doing for the last 15 years. Who even thought all these Quality Standards up?
The whole thing is a disgrace, and it will serve only to make Parish Councils far too bureaucratic, something that we have managed to avoid becoming to date.
horley_pc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I agree completely with what was said before. We should not have to hold qualifications to do what is in fact an unpaid public-servce job. Who do they think they are!
Chris
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that there are more competent clerks than incompetent (I hope anyway) out there but unfortunately you have to face facts this is not a job to be taken lightly and there is a lot of knowledge that is required to carry out this role successfully.
I for one am glad that there are qualifications required to carry out this important job as it will hopefully sort out the "wheat from the chaffe".
dave2951
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious from this Forum that a qualification is required. Very Happy
Chris
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody holding the post of the "Proper Officer" should be qualified after all they are charged with the correct running of both the Parish Council and it's duties to it's parishioners. If the very basic principles are not met and upheld then there is no way that the Parish Council can function properly, legally and legitimately.
dave2951
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Anybody holding the post of the "Proper Officer" should be qualified after all they are charged with the correct running of both the Parish Council and it's duties to it's parishioners. If the very basic principles are not met and upheld then there is no way that the Parish Council can function properly, legally and legitimately.

Exactly, could not agree more, although experience is a value sorry knowledge is more.
Mary
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Qualifications of a clerk Reply with quote

We have a clerk who has nearly completed the train ing a nd whilst doing so has encountered some members including the chairman who want to run the council outside of the box and ignore what is not actually laid down either in the standing orders or the Local Government Act. The clerk has been on a steep learning curve and will soon know how to deal with every scam that is put in front of him There does not seem to be much that can be done if the members choose to ignore legislation. Auditors do not seem to pick up irregularities. It seems that if a number of people can out vote others they can do anything in our council with no comeback Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Qualifications of the Clerk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: