, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

How do you canvass for a local parish election

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: How do you canvass for a local parish election Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I am a new member who is thinking of standing as a candidate for their local parish council.

We had a very bad flooding incident recently and I took it upon myself to stand up to the council and demand some action and gathered signatures for a petition.

Our village has just been granted its own parish council and there are nine vacancies and my neighbours and local district councillor have asked me to stand.

However, although I can find out about the legalities of standing, how do you go about gaining enough votes. Dop you go around the village speaking to people or put leaflets through letterboxes.

All information would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks for reading this
ParishCouncil.net
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum, and I hope that you find plenty of helpful information here once you become a Parish Councillor.

Your question is a really interesting one, and whilst I am not certain of the answer myself (many councils have different procedures), I am sure one of our members will be able to help find an answer very soon.

Good luck, and I hope to see you posting again soon.

Neil
(Director - Parishcouncil.net)
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jill, and welcome to the Forum. I hope that you get as much help from here as I have, and we can always do with more peeps getting involved! Wink

NALC, the national association, are really good at getting all sorts of information about being a Parish Councillor, though some people also find that you can get lots of helpful advice from your local district or borough council too.

I recently recommended a friend of mine to read this leaflet from NALC:

http://www.nalc.gov.uk/Document/Download.aspx?uid=56eadd77-7543-4472-9487-848904ab02b5

It is really useful and has all the info on what you will have to do as a Councillor and how to get elected (not always an easy task!!).

Do drop by again if you can - it would be great to hear whether you have been successful.

Sarah Very Happy
Jill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies

I went to the site which was advised but it really did not give any advice on actually canvassing or going about getting votes.

I am aware of the legalities as it was all spelt out in the papers sent to me by the lolcal council.

However, I am do not think I will be standing as a parish councillor having read some of the case studies.

Many thanks to you both
lesjar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One main thing is that most Parish Councillors tend to be a candidate of 'INDEPENDANT' status i.e. not standing for any political party. I recently became a parish councillor for the first time and my canvassing was the good old fashioned door to door with a leaflet as you are allowed to spend a small some of money on election expenses. door to door is an enlightening experience as nearly everyone has something to say or a problem that they want dealt with. It was surprising to find out just how many people and houses there are in teh parish and in fact there were some roads that I have never been down before !!!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: