, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

How useful are websites for Parish Councils?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Parish Councils need a website?
Yes
93%
 93%  [ 15 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

ParishCouncil.net
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: How useful are websites for Parish Councils? Reply with quote

Being a company that makes websites for Parish Councils, are views are rather biased on this point! So, we would love to hear from you about how useful you think websites really are for Parish Councils.

What do you think they should be used for?

Do they serve their purpose(s) effectively?

Are they cost effective?

Please post whatever you want regarding Parish Council websites here...
rebecca_craven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a sceptic on this issue, I have voted 'no' in the poll above. Our Parish Council is very, very small, has an even smaller precept, and whilst the work that we do is important, it is not the sort of thing that we should have to publish to a website.

We do acknowledge the County's insistence that we need everything 'online' by the end of 2005 (which is obviously not going to happen), but I really feel that it is too much to expect Parish Councillors to have to run a website as well as all the rest of the work that we are expected to do, and do completely for the benefit of the community.

I do applaud the work of some people to make websites for Parish Councils easier to run, but I think it wrong that we should have to have them.

RC
codnor_webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of publishing information such as minutes or agendas, you cannot really fail with a well-managed website.
symonds
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codnor_webmaster wrote:
In terms of publishing information such as minutes or agendas, you cannot really fail with a well-managed website.

I have to agree with codnor_webmaster, you cannot beat websites in terms of benefits for the money that you spend. How can printing so many newsletters and sending so many letters possibly be:

a) Cost effective
b) Good for the environment

I say more of us should be embracing the computer age and bringing Parish Councils into the 21st Century.
dsjwebmaster
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a website for about seven years now I'd have to say it was useful, but "need" might be rather a strong term! (Voted "Yes" anyway). Cool
http://www.dsjpc.org.uk
hamden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you have had a website for such a long time. Is it easy to keep it fresh, and to keep people coming back to it after all that time. Parish Council NEt wrote in the last newsletter that this can be a problem, and i wondered whether you were able to keep the visitors coming.
annie-jane

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just written something about this in another topic. It may be worth having a look round the forum to see exactly where. My view (which I know is not shared by all!) is that the most important thing is to have fresh, new material, and not just new pictures and photos on the website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Council Websites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: