, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Working with your council

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Clerk Qualifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Working with your council Reply with quote

Hi
I'm currently working through the Working with your Council course and need to discuss some of the questions with other clerks or councillors. Is anyone available to help?
Or if you have recently done the course, maybe you could offer me some advice on how to answer the questions - I am a new clerk myself, and am finding this all a little daunting. Confused
horley_pc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I know exactly what you are going through. I don't know what local council association you belong to, but generally speaking there are people there who can help.

I also looked at the National Association website, and found this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General points:

Read the question carefully and then answer the question! It is amazing how many simple mistakes are made from mis-reading a question!
In criteria where a word limit is specified, please stick to it.
Everything submitted for the portfolio must be as ‘best practice’ as possible.
Style must be formal and appropriate.
You are encouraged to remove anything illegal or dubious from the documents you submit.
You are encouraged to annotate documents to explain why a potentially illegal/dubious point or statement has remained and make suggestions for re-phrasing/re-drafting the documents.
If you/ your council does not already possess the exact material required for the portfolio, you must draft and submit a new suitable example.
If you are not responsible for the production of any submitted material, annotations to show understanding and explanation are essential.
Where relevant:

The statutory basis should be quoted.
Relate items to your own council (referring to size, structure, local issues)
Justify your statements/answers (the ‘why?’ factor…)
Size of portfolio:

Candidates should only submit evidence that has been requested. There is the temptation by many to include extra examples of work/brochures/photos etc to beef up portfolios but this is not necessary and you will not gain extra marks for doing so! Some candidates are submitting portfolios that are several inches thick. This is simply too big, it makes them difficult to mark and unwieldy and much of the information is irrelevant. Your completed portfolio should ideally be between half and one inch thick. In particular some candidates are including 30 odd pages of minutes or accounts. This is not what is required. Only Relevant pages containing relevant items should be included.
Word Counts:

Some candidates are blatantly disregarding the word counts and as a result are failing. Lead Markers will allow candidates to stray 10% over the word count but thereafter the section will most likely fail.

Portfolio Submission:

Dont use plastic pockets for individual pages or sets of pages. These are time consuming for your marker to use.
Do arrange the contents in exactly the same order as the schedule of core topics and skills given in the guide that follows. Number and title the items to match the schedule.
Dividers with labelled tabs help people find their way around more easily.
Candidates must send their portfolio direct to the lead marker’s address (CTPs will provide address details)
Portfolio pages must be either bound by treasury tags or in a soft-backed folder to aid postage and to fit through a letterbox. The use of lever arch files is to be avoided.
Please do not post via registered post as this has to be signed for and may cause extra inconvenience for the Lead Marker. Ordinary first class post will be sufficient.
Candidates should enclose a stamped addressed envelope if they want confirmation of receipt of the portfolio by the Lead Marker.Return of portfolios of evidence:
All candidates must take a photocopy of their portfolio prior to submitting it for marking. Your portfolio will be kept for a period of 12 months before you get an opportunity to get it back. This is for appeal, verification and marker training purposes. Even if your portfolio passes first time, you will not be able to get it back for 12 months. You will be contacted after 12 months with details of how you can reclaim your portfolio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps a bit. All the stuff on their website is at:

http://www.nalc.gov.uk/training/advice.html

Anway, good luck with it all....

Peter
stretpc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help and tell me where a list of the roles and responsibilities of Parish Clerks are?

Ta!
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to your local SLCC county association they will be able to give you all the information you need

cath x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretpc wrote:
Can anyone help and tell me where a list of the roles and responsibilities of Parish Clerks are?

Ta!

i have to tell u you need to be a jack of all trades lol....... a useful publication is the arnold baker parish council administration book failing that your local county association again.

cath x
Gar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to continue with the course. I indeed make a request for a working group for discussions. If you too require a working group to continue with "The Knowledge" please contact me. I am in the Buckinghamshire area. I am very keen to get back on track. I on the LAW section and wish to complete the course in 4 months.
Look forward to any replies...
Claire White
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. A working group would be a good idea for this bit of the forum. It would be a good opportunity for anyone who has the course to impart some of their knowledge.

Please, pretty please... Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Clerk Qualifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: