, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

parish counicl employer/employee relationships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Code of Conduct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: parish counicl employer/employee relationships Reply with quote

Code of conduct, not just for the quality parish councils but for all. as parish council employees i feel there should be clear guidlines on where to go if you are having problems with your employer. NALC are good as are the SLCC but they are busy and sometimes it can take too long to get answers. there are too many parish councils these days being run by 'maverick' chairpersons (no disprespect) but some whilst doing and excellent job within there communities are not considering the impact there actions have internally and some have no idea how employment rules work. how many of you out there have problems with your chairs or council on an employee/employer basis and yet do nothing because you dont know where to go.

I have to say that any clerks training course i have been on at least half of the clerks attending have problems with their chairs or councils. Dont get me wrong there are hundreds of parish councillors out there including chairs doing an extremely good job but some of the stories i have heard about power hugry chairs and councils are appalling.
Menwipcc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath,

This is an interesting post. I have to admit that as a small PC, I do not really see us as 'employers' as such, especially since most of the members are unpaid. However, you are quite correct that PCs do have employees, be they clerks or others, and these individuals are clearly paid by the PCs.

I personally have not heard about PCs treating Clerks badly, but I do think that the extra pressure placed on clerks through the Quality Council Status scheme of NALC is an issue. If the ability of the Clerk is a factor that may affect the ability of the PC to achieve funding, then this is putting far too much pressure on the clerk, and may also be causing some of the well-intending council Chairmen to treat the clerks with not quite the level of good-nature that they so clearly deserve.

As I have said - this is a very interesting post, and I would like to hear other PCs views on how it has affected them also.
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never had any problems. I think we've been really lucky with our Chairman, who is a really lovely man.

I can see that it could be difficult though.
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah wrote:
We have never had any problems. I think we've been really lucky with our Chairman, who is a really lovely man.

I can see that it could be difficult though.

well with membership of this forum growing i'm sure we will hear different views lol xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Code of Conduct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: