, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

How to communicate effectively with your local community?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParishCouncil.net
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: How to communicate effectively with your local community? Reply with quote

This is a tough one. The Quality Parish & Town Council Scheme has their criteria for effective communication, but surely it depends very much on the local community, and how they want you to communicate with them.

There is no point putting all your information on news boards if no-one can get to read them, same as there is no point putting all your information on a website if no-one in the area uses a computer!

What have you found useful, and what can you recommend to other Parish Councils?

Question
angie456
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the way forward is to use computers. We still have to put information on our notice board and send out newsletters but we also have a newsletter we can send to people using emails. The good thing about it is that we do not have to pay the printers for each newsletter we send to people using emails, because it does not cost any money to send them. We are evening sending newsletters by email to people who have left the village and are now living abroad, but just want to be kept informed about what is still going on.
Menwipcc
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the cost-saving point about new email newsletters not costing anything to send out, but that does not help the fact that most people in the Parish cannot actually receive newsletters by email, whether it is because they do not know how, or because they simply cannot. Some people cannot afford computers, some cannot use computers, and some simply like to use noticeboards or printed material. I know it is a crude example, but you cannot read the computer screen when on the toilet, can you?!!! Exclamation
tom
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nicely put!
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i dont know who said this but when you think people are sick of hearing it they are just getting the message.

i dont know what the answer is but give residents ownership of parish council projects almost, if they think its theirs then they will contribute

hugs xxx
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath,

I take your point completely. People will do little if they think that someone somewhere is doing something for the local community. They will do more if they think that someone somewhere is doing something for the local community WITH THEIR money, and will do the most if they think that THEY are doing something for the local community with THEIR OWN money.

One question (though a biggie!) remains for me - how to get them to realise that they are involved in the process!?

Exclamation Exclamation Confused Confused Confused
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baseball bat??? lol no not really. I am thinking of putting a crossword in the newsletter with daily answers on the website shouldnt take much doing i wouldnt think. also on the website maybe a daily quiz just a one liner and check in once a day. i know it sounds a lot of work but i work from home too, no longer have any dependants so can check in on the website daily. the other thing i have is a young persons page on my website (well when it goes live that is) and a community page and i might think of giving some sort of prize to senders of the best contribution quarterly or somthing like that , lots of ideas will let you know which (if any) work.

cath xxx
Sarah
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas! Can't wait to see your new website!

xx
new guy
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite refreshing to see councillors who (like myself) also want to keep the public informed about their community and would actually like to engage with them over the direction of future decisions.

In my neck of the woods, my main struggle is getting the other members of council to realize that they/we are there to serve the public and not the other way round.

I'm completely in favour of noticeboards, newsletters, websites and regular surgeries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Communications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: