, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Over Stowey goes live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Your Parish Council Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbow
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Over Stowey goes live Reply with quote

www.overstowey.com

We are a very small parish indeed. I used a wonderfully simple CMS to do this. It all fits in the free 10MB of space we get with the £15 pa we pay for the domain. Very easy to set up. Very easy to edit.
dave2951
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have l loked at your site and I think it is excellent. Our Parish Council chose against my views to have a page on the local Village Community Web Site which is about as reliable as a Chocolate Tea Pot and I as the user have not been able to update anything for the last 3 weeks as it is broke ( again ) will certainly have a look at what you call CMS.? Very Happy
Timbow
2 Star User
2 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave, kind of you to say so. I hope it is what is needed.

CMS = Content Management System. Web acronym which means in general terms a site which the user can edit through the browser. This one the clerk can post the minutes and notices up with no HTML and no FTP

There are just a few free lightweight CMS which you can use on free webspace without access to a MySQL database. Razor CMS is good, or the one I used is called Pluck. It was total simplicity to create the site, and even easier to update it monthly. Just a little knowledge of HTML and CSS required to adapt a standard 'Theme'. You could do it all in a couple of hours.

It may not be the best designed site but I was very pleased with it because it seems to fit the bill so well. Cost close to zero, two way communication with the Parish, simple to edit, and if I want to change the look next year I can use a new theme and the content will all stay unchanged.

Tim W
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Your Parish Council Websites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: