, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

NALC conference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Plans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: NALC conference Reply with quote

Hi all

just back from the NALC conference in Liverpool, not altogether a resounding success but organisation from NALC was good. attended many of the workshops, but most of all the networking: invaluable. I urge each and every one of you to go to at least one conference next years conference is at Bournemouth. See you there xx
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We get invites to go to these events, but most of us work full time, and its often difficult to get time off.

What sort of thing was discussed? Is there a website, or any information on the Net about it?

Richard
cath_p
5 Star User
5 Star User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness, I cant beleive its 2 years since i posted that. you are porbably aware by now about any website, but just in case if you go to the NALC webiste or your local area society of clerks assocation then you should find lots of info there.
Gavin
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardgarforth wrote:

We get invites to go to these events, but most of us work full time, and its often difficult to get time off.

There is a proper reply here, but first, the thing I dislike about Windows 8 ‘Compatibility Mode’ is it wipes out what you've already written! I must remember to do this in Word first! (Click the ‘Compatibility Mode’ icon to stop this text box jumping around as you enter text-length beyond the visible box)

Hi Richard, et al

If you are the selected NALC representative for your PC, it might be worth considering the following (you can look this up in 'Local Government Administration' 8th Edition, 7.11 / Page 61 'Employment'):

“7.11 A councillor’s employer must give his employee reasonable time off to attend to council affairs and perform approved duties, having regard to the employee’s absence on the business and the amount of time required or already taken by the employee on trade union duties; and the councillor may complain to an employment tribunal if he fails to do so.”
Employment Rights Act 1996, s 50

It’s never a nice thing to have an argument or dispute with your employer, and let’s face it, these days, who can afford to lose a day’s pay? However, from a personal viewpoint, the majority of employers would probably be happy to either let you have an unpaid day off, or would prefer it if you requested a day’s paid annual leave. Mind you, I can't say NALC conference dates are given with plenty of time - I haven't found the 2010 dates yet! Any clues, Cath_P?

I don’t know how this would affect your benefits if you’re unemployed, so I would recommend you consult your benefit office beforehand.

Regards

Gavin

Views 1801 - Original post 28-09-06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> Parish Plans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: