, welcome to the ParishCouncil.net Discussion Forum   »   Log in

Planning Applications and consultaions with Parish council.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Planning Applications and consultaions with Parish council. Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone feel that their Parish council is not listened to when the Planning authority passes plans? Do you feel you are not really listened to, or sidelined with your views.

We have a Huge warehouse development that is twice the size of our village with 24 hour operation. We already have massive amounts of empty warehouses , recently built too. We feel that we were not listened to even though over 300 objections (from 1200 houses) were written to the council.

Anyone else in the same boat? This might be a good place to discuss tactics?

richard
Mike Goss
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick for getting District Council Planners to listen is to couch the comments in terms of their own planning policies.

They can, and do, ignore general comments, but point out that one aspect of the application is contrary to Planning Policy xxx and they will have to either agree of find good reason why you are wrong.

You have to speak their language.
richardgarforth
3 Star User
3 Star User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Goss wrote:

You have to speak their language.

i agree, our local paper ran an article after I spoke out at a planning meeting that no one had ever quoted planning law back at a planner before. We still lost though. The commitee decided to rule against us. "because Barnsley needs jobs"

Sometime later when greedy developer wanted to alter plans, they refused the same, because it was against planning law to speculatively build warehouse units (The very plannning law I quoted to them in previous meeting!

You just cannot win. I am hoping that the next government will strengthen the powers of Parish councils. Whats the point of being a statutaory notifyee if your comments and objections are just ignored, even if you are bang on the button with the planning laws!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ParishCouncil.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: